Role Playing Cinama
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let this world be changed

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesLog inRegister

forumFORUMforum technical difficulties

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Amos
Moonlight
Moonlight
Amos

Male Number of posts : 558
Title: : Lets stab the pretty, innocent animals! Very Happy
Registration date : 2008-02-21

forumFORUMforum technical difficulties Empty
PostSubject: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:07 pm

So, the x10 forum host isnt as reliable as FB made it out to be. Wink

But seriously: this is an issue.

So, our options currently are to either return to the classic blue forum, the official temporary backup of the RPC, or move.

If we move:

1. Keep SMF or use Hyperboards for the forum medium?
2. Use a private/small host or a secure, large host?
3. Pay for hosting or keep free?

For 1 -- Hyperboards is just as reliable as SMF and just as functionable. Google the website. if we change to it, it also provides us with a very reliable host.
For 2 -- This is a Y factor
For 3 -- If you choose this option, you MUST be willing to pay for it through paypal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.roleplayingcinama.webs.com
Oddball464
Moonlight
Moonlight
Oddball464

Male Number of posts : 1032
Title: : Southern Shark
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:08 pm

I feel that we should just kick it here. Trying to find another host might be troublesome, and this one seems to be wroking fine.
Back to top Go down
http://supahsmashbroz.roflforum.net/
Amos
Moonlight
Moonlight
Amos

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:14 pm

merhaps, but keep in mind that this forum is not as customizeable as some others may be...

I mean, i get the point: it's relatively simple and already prepared, but i assume that theres a better reason for it.... including the wiki.
Back to top Go down
Cucurb
Sidus Spiritus
Sidus Spiritus

Male Number of posts : 1383
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:53 am

Okay.

I think you've got the wrong idea here.

First of all, when FB first chose x10hosting, it was perfectly fine. It's only recently, with all the updates they've been doing, that it has gotten this worse. If you're going to point fingers, point them at the hosting itself. And if we do decide to get paid hosting, we would be moved to a much securer server, which, incidentally, would solve the issue I'm about to bring up:

Second, the Co.cc forum is still perfectly intact, it just can't connect to the server. So ditching it would be a really dumb move, especially considering how far we have gotten with it.

Third, do none of you remember why we left this forum? It's unsuited for huge RPs like the Moonlight Gateway, as it splits the topic after a certain amounts of posts. That's what happened last time, and that's why we moved.
Back to top Go down
Nucleose
Beast
Beast

Male Number of posts : 420
Title: : Im a dragon, made of water

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Cucurb wrote:
Okay.

First of all, when FB first chose x10hosting, it was perfectly fine. It's only recently, with all the updates they've been doing, that it has gotten this worse. If you're going to point fingers, point them at the hosting itself. And if we do decide to get paid hosting, we would be moved to a much securer server, which, incidentally, would solve the issue I'm about to bring up:

Second, the Co.cc forum is still perfectly intact, it just can't connect to the server. So ditching it would be a really dumb move, especially considering how far we have gotten with it.

Third, do none of you remember why we left this forum? It's unsuited for huge RPs like the Moonlight Gateway, as it splits the topic after a certain amounts of posts. That's what happened last time, and that's why we moved.
So what you're suggesting is that something we can do, is change hosts, but keep the Co.cc forum?
Back to top Go down
Cucurb
Sidus Spiritus
Sidus Spiritus

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 3:36 pm

We can either move, get paid hosting, or simply wait until they get their act together.
Back to top Go down
Nucleose
Beast
Beast

Male Number of posts : 420
Title: : Im a dragon, made of water

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Back to top Go down
Amos
Moonlight
Moonlight
Amos

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 10:35 am

Cucurb wrote:
Okay.

About x10, ive had issues with it often, it just peaked recently. This included not being able to access it on weekends and the occasional weekdays, before it kinda shut down. And Nooky, it doesnt work for me at all.

2. -- Good, so you can save it and move it to a new host?

3. -- At least the forum server doesnt have any issues. Plus, as far as im concerned, it really wasnt an issue until you accidentally deleted a block of it.

-----------------------------

I dont like the idea of staying on x10, as we've already been going through numerous forum hosts, many of them crashing down on us. Thus dawns the age of unreliability.

And are you willing to pay for hosting monthly?

Of course, if we stay here, we could also cut out the old RP's started in the co.cc through html editing and host them on mediafire for archiving, then coninue with them on this site.
Back to top Go down
Cucurb
Sidus Spiritus
Sidus Spiritus

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Oh, but it was. Keeping tracks of the topic when it just suddenly got split without a warning, and then merging and re-aranging the split topic into a proper chapter would take a lot of unnecesarry and annoying work. Plus, this software is so inferior to SMF in so many ways it's simply silly to choose this before the other.

As for staying on x10, I'm not too fond of the idea either, but as you might understand, I'm a little scared of moving servers too.
Back to top Go down
Amos
Moonlight
Moonlight
Amos

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Yes, it is inferior. But thats just for the asthetics, mind you that we need that to reach a higher ground of popularity.
Mind you, its annoying but workable and efficient after we learned about it.

how about we host the forum on multiple servers for a week, WITHOUT any activity, and choose the one that has zero problems. THat means, have the members of the community constantly visit the forum once maximum per hour to make sure it runs smoothly.'

Just for a week. :L I'm a Sphere - MYN
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: forumFORUMforum technical difficulties   forumFORUMforum technical difficulties Empty

Back to top Go down

forumFORUMforum technical difficulties
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Role Playing Cinama :: Village :: Post office-
Jump to: